Monday, April 27, 2009

And I just finished #7!!

Well, it has been an interesting couple of weeks. Seems they messed up MRI #6 so I got to go back in this morning for a retake... yeah that makes #7. Wasn't so bad though they got me in and out pretty quick.

Yesterday was my Darling Daughter's birthday party. We all had a great time, my house is trashed I will be spending all day cleaning up but it was worth it. The whole family came out, even the adopted/extended family. My ankles started protesting last night since I was on my feet all day.

So here is the deal.... my vision has returned to normal, I have no numb spots, no more lightening bolts down my spine, no more back spasms, I am actually sleeping at night time, and I have not been on ANY meds in over two weeks. I feel like I have my body back. Other people are noticing too. There is color to my face again I can walk in the middle of my rooms where before I was always within reaching distance of a wall. My daughter and I are enjoying the warm weather and playing outside and walking and I can see/feel to drive. I no longer feel like a prisoner in my own house.

I spoke to the pharmacist about the Rebif. He tells me that only 3% of people who take it develop thyroid disorders. What about the people who have already been diagnosed with thyroid problems?? How does it effect you then? For that I am told to consult my neurologist before starting the drug. The more I think about it the less I like the idea of being on this drug. So I have made the decision not to take it, which is something the neuro and I will have to discuss when I follow up with her next week.

One other note... The latest MRI showed the giant lesion in my brain is active again. Not that it really makes any difference seeing as there is no drug to effectively treat it or stop it from growing.

For now I have decided the doctors know plenty about this disease but it is true that it effects each person differently so when it comes to my individual case they are clueless. Symptoms were unbearable before I started the Copaxone... the new symptoms and increased intensity of all symptoms I got from the Copaxone and the steroids was enough to make me want to give up. Had I known how much worse it would get I would have chosen to live with the symptoms I had to begin with. You see the symptoms were unbearable when i started the Copaxone because I had no idea they could get worse.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I can say the "unbearable" symptoms that started all of this was nothing compared to the person I became over the 4 months I was pumping my body full of useless medications that did nothing but make it worse.

I also know that this is not a disease that is just going to go away and to think I will never be on meds again is ridiculous to say the least. I know that it is going to come back I know that it could be worse than ever before. But I also know that for now, I need to do what I feel is best and that does not involve injecting myself with a drug that will make me feel sick.