Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Wow, you look great! Of course I do I stopped taking Copaxone!

What bad could come from an MRI you ask me? Normally I would tell you nothing. It's the least painful procedure I have ever had at a hospital. Yeah, I get a little tensed up after more than an hour in the machine, but it's really not that bad.

My fiance on the other hand, tells a different story. He went in to have an MRI of his leg done. Should have been a simple thing. After waiting for hours for the Army doctor to get him in the machine, he was finally surfing the tube. Mind you, he has a steel rod in this leg from a previous injury. He comes home in pain and says his throat hurts.

So begins the case of walking pneumonia. His MRI was on a Saturday evening and by Sunday afternoon we were in the car on the way to the emergency room. Two EKGs, a chest X-Ray, Bloodwork, mouth swabs, nasal swabs.... We were there for 6 hours! He didn't care they had given him morphine for the pain, he was out like a light. I was finally able to take him home with a diagnosis of bronchitis or walking pneumonia and a z-pack.

Of course by Monday night I was getting the yucks and by Tuesday morning I was a mess. I ended up calling my mom to come take me to the doctor and take my DD to her dad's house. Hey wouldn't you know? I have walking pneumonia says the doctor. Awesome! I also had a fever of 103 and wanted to kill any living being that came within a 200 yard radius of me.

Fortunately the antibiotics seems to be working, even thought I am still not "cured" of the crud. During my fever induced psychosis I managed to skip a few doses of my Copaxone. I was about to inject myself one day and decided that my body had enough stuff going on and it didn't need anything else to fight it off. I made the decision to stop the Copaxone until after I finished the antibiotics. Tomorrow is my last day of the antibiotics and today is my follow up appointment with my neuro. Boy is she going to be happy when I tell her I stopped taking the Copaxone and I don't intent to start again.

Since stopping the C I have regained feeling in my feet, I no longer have lightening bolts flashing down my spine every time I bend my head. I can lay in my bed without my back spasming, and I can actually fall asleep before 3 AM. I still have numb spots in my legs, and I am still having Optic Neuritis issues, but I am feeling better than I have in months. Now I know this could be a coincidence that after eight months this "flare-up" is finally subsiding but I don't think so. I think it was the copaxone making it worse.